Tuesday, May 20, 2008

OBX!!!

Ever since we moved to Virginia, we have heard about this great place called the Outer Banks, NC. We finally made it out there for a little bit of relaxation. We had a great time with the Evans, the McGlaughlins, and the Mitchells. We rented a massive beach house and settled in for a great week. Unfortunately our first three days were rain and tornado warnings. I didn't know that there were so many tornado warnings out here. But it was a great week of relaxation and fun (a week for mom and Claire and a few days for papa).

The drive down was rough. Rough I say. Claire did not bring her A game. But we love her the same. But after that, Claire did bring it for the rest of the week. We had a great mother's day. All the girls at the house repeatedly chanted, "Nate's in trouble." I convinced them that I had forgotten a mothers day gift. I had not. Luckily Rich was on the ball and organized Salmon Filet, CusCus, Asparagus, Rolls, and Strawberry Shortcake.

As I do have to get to bed now, I will sum up the pictures and hopefully edit the post later. If not, at least you have them.




I woke up a few mornings in hope of a great sunrise. One morning I woke up really early, got in the car, drove up the coast to take a picture of the lighthouse with the sunrise. It was a total waste. I found the lighthouse... about 1/2 mile from the beach in a location that I couldn't get to and definitely couldn't get a picture. I was tired.

Mom and Dad finally gave in and let me play in the cabinet. I love opening up drawers and cabinets and pulling out everything!
We had a great day at the beach! Talk about an all-star cast. Nice job team


In a total of 4 families there were 8 kids (luckily the beach house was three stories so we didn't go too crazy during the rain storms). All 8 were girls. I wanted to get a picture with all of them, but this was as good as it gets.




Claire had loved playing in the sand.

Yes, this is papa in action. Believe me, the ocean was cold. I made a sprint into the ocean and I am happy that Hill was able to document it. This is a shot of me high-stepping over the wave. I pretty much resurrected some of my long-lost high school football skills.

Claire wasn't as excited about the water as she was the sand.


After a very windy excursion to the sand dunes, we stopped for ice cream at Dairy Queen. Just so everyone knows, $5 WalMart kites do not fly. Just bite the bullet and pay the 12 bucks at the kite store to get a kite that flies. Frugality does not always pay.

9 comments:

Betsy said...

Love the post! I am glad you guys had a good vacation. Claire is adorable as usual :) Can't wait to see you guys. Love ya.

Al said...

It looks like the outer banks was a great vacation choice. I'm glad to see you got claire a new hat that fits a little better. Love you guys, and we'll see ya soon.

Papa Norm said...

Down to 3 days and counting before the Virginia Dahle's will be here for the much anticipted wedding. Nate you'll be expected to in for Kevin Saturday morning on the roof. Outer Banks was a lot of fun when we were there a year ago and we need to make that a family outing. See you all in a few days. You're the best!!

Anonymous said...

I especially enjoy the look of mischief as she unloads the cabinet!
G'pa C.

J.ME said...

How lucky are you guys? This looks like a blast. I wish we were there to share it with you. By the way, the picture with the all the girls, it looks like it should go in a jcrew or mini boden catalog. Love it!

-Jamie

Rebecca said...

I love your swimsuit Claire Bear:)

Seth said...

thanks for the advice about kite buying

Amy & Mark said...

We had such a great time with you guys! Thanks for the fun! Hope you're enjoying Utah!

Shawna B. said...

Hi, Dahles! I saw your link on Rebecca Walters' site and just wanted pop over and say hello to some of my favorite folks! Sure wish we saw you more often. That Claire could not be any cuter. You guys have some nice pics of your little lady! Good show.